Prometheus is an international undergraduate philosophy journal published by students at Johns Hopkins University. The purpose of the journal is to promote philosophic discourse of the highest standard by offering students an opportunity to engage in open discussion, participate in the production and publication of an academic philosophy journal, and to establish a community of aspiring philosophers from all walks of life.
Please make sure to follow all the directions stated here if you are interested in submitting one of your philosophy papers to Prometheus.
Deadline: Friday, January 1, 2016.
Book Review & Interview Submissions
If you are interested in writing a review on an article, book, or essay, or conduct and write an interview for Prometheus, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with a proposed book (must be published within the last twelve months) or interviewee. Editors have full discretion in the final publication of book reviews and interviews.
Prometheus accepts undergraduate papers on all philosophical topics. Essays written for classes, honors theses, and independent work are welcome. You may submit multiple pieces to Prometheus, and you are welcome to submit those pieces to other publications. However, you may only accept publication at one journal. Please inform us as soon as your paper has been accepted elsewhere.
Please make sure to read and follow all the submission requirements. We cannot guarantee your paper will be read if you fail to follow all the requirements:
- You must be an undergraduate or a graduating senior.
- Submissions should be 10-30 double-spaced pages in Chicago style with proper citations. Essays must be the original work of the author. If your essay is shorter than 10 pages and you still wish to submit your essay, email one of the editor-in-chiefs for further information or see the online journal section below.
- Submit an electronic copy of your essay to email@example.com in either .doc or .docx format.
- If your paper relies on figures, images, or any similar media, please send all such files as their own attachments, not simply embedded in the document.
- Please attach a cover page in a SEPARATE DOCUMENT with the following information:
b. University or College
c. Major or Degree
d. Year of Expected Graduation
f. Phone Number
DO NOT INCLUDE ANY PERSONAL INFORMATION ON THE PAPER ITSELF. Please include a short (100-200 words) abstract at the beginning of your paper.
You should expect to hear back regarding our decision in mid-spring, and publication will occur during the following summer.
For any other inquiries about submission or the publication status of your essay, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submissions to the online journal follow the same guidelines with three exceptions. First, submissions may be shorter than 10 pages. Second, they may feature a somewhat less formal and academic style. Third, online pieces are published on a rolling basis rather than annually.